Founder: Giuseppe Benelli, Giovanni Benelli, Francesco Benelli, Filippo Benelli, Domenico Benelli, Antonio “Tonino” Benelli
Founded: 1911; 110 years ago, Pesaro
Headquarters: Pesaro, Italy.
Today, the company is fully owned by Qianjiang Group, and is one of 10 branches of Qianjiang. Benelli is currently being partially designed in Italy at the Benelli QJ Headquarters, while some of the designs come from other Qianjiang branches such as Keeway. Benelli is exclusively manufactured in China since 2005 at Qianjiang’s factory in Wenling, China.
Benelli is more focused on mid sized motorcycles rather than the small motorcycles, mopeds, and scooters commonly found in Asia, and is also aimed at a more premium European market, using the Italian brand name. Its design is heavily influenced by bigger brands such as Ducati. For example the iconic “beak” design of the Ducati Multistrada is found in the Benelli TRK 502, and the Benelli 502c also strongly resembles the Ducati Diavel.
Benelli Bikes List
- Benelli TNT 600 i
- Benelli TRK 502
- Benelli 302R
- Benelli TNT 300
- Benelli Leoncino
Benelli Motors Timeline
- 1911 the brand has recently found strong hands to fully enhance the technical and design quality and rebuild a reputation and a customer base all over the World.
- 1919 During World War I, Benelli worked hard fixing parts for the Italian machines in war and in the first motorcycle was presented to the public.
- 1920 the company built its first complete engine in-house, a single-cylinder two-stroke 75 cc model, immediately adapted to a bicycle frame.
- 1921 Benelli built its first motorcycle, using their own engine which had by then become a 98 cc model.
- 1927-1930 with the single overhead camshaft (SOHC) version, and in 1931 with the double overhead camshaft (DOHC) version.
- 1932 Unfortunately, a bad crash during a race in cut short his brilliant career and on 27 September 1937 Tonino died following a “silly” road accident.
- 1939 Isle of Man TT Lightweight 250cc race. With the start of the war, the Benelli Four was limited to competition in a handful of Italian domestic races.
- 1960 the arrival of Japanese manufacturers caused a crisis in the European motorcycle industry. The original Benelli company was heavily involved in the American motorcycle market, selling motorcycles under 350cc through Montgomery Ward.
- 1988 Benelli was brought to his knees. Mr. Industrial Tycoon Giancarlo Selci, owner of the Biesse group, saved a brilliant company from an uncertain future and bought Benelli.
- 1989 The company targeted the scooter market segment with the Devil and Scooty model. It seems that new time has begun, but after the first moments of euphoria, the prospect becomes uncertain.
- 1995 the Fabriano Merloni Group bought most of the historical brands. Andrea Merloni, son of Vittorio, is the leader of new companies and new arrivals arriving with aggressive scooters 491. New ambitious projects, scooters and even sportsbikes: Tornado 900cc three-cylinder which will also compete in the Superbike championship and 1130cc TnT. But Benelli soon faced another new crisis.
- 2005 Benelli became part of the Chinese QJ Group, located in Wenling where 14,000 people produce more than 1,200,000 vehicles and two million engines per year in a super large modern factory.
- 2014 when total sales had been over the 10.000 units, the 61% of Benelli sales were made in ASEAN and only 26% in Europe.
- 2018 The last record, achieved in the first time over the 50.000 units, allowed to Benelli to overtake Ducati in the global ranking, selling 59.750 motorcycles worldwide, due to the sales growth in any continent.
- 2019 a new record will be established with sales over 63.000, challenging the Triumph position in the global ranking. Indeed, in the first nine months of the year global sales have been 50.037, up 8.7%. The 26.8% fall reported in Latam countries have been more than balance by a +27.8% in West Europe.
- 2020 The global economic crisis following the covid19 spread has hit the Benelli global sales moderately and a second half recovery could balance the first half fall.
- 2021 If you’re wondering, what are the upcoming benelli bikes u. We have a list of all the Benelli upcoming bikes with their expected 13 bikes are likely to be launched and this includes bikes like Benelli TRK 251, Benelli TNT 300 & Benelli 302R.