Founder: Brijmohan Lall Munjal
Founded: 19 January 1984; 38 years ago
Headquarters: New Delhi, India
Hero Motocorp Limited, formerly Hero Honda, is an Indian multinational motorcycle and scooter manufacturer based in New Delhi, India. The company is the largest two-wheeler manufacturer in the world, and also in India, where it has a market share of about 46% in the two-wheeler category. The 2006 Forbes list of the 200 World’s Most Respected Companies had Hero Honda Motors ranked at #108. On 31 March 2013, the market capitalisation of the company was ₹30,800 crore (equivalent to ₹420 billion or US$5.9 billion in 2019).
Hero Honda started its operations in 1984 as a joint venture between Hero Cycles (sometimes called Hero Group, not to be confused with the Hero Group food company of Switzerland) of India and Honda of Japan. In June 2012, Hero MotoCorp approved a proposal to merge the investment arm of its parent Hero Investment Pvt. Ltd. with the automaker. This decision came 18 months after its split from Hero Honda.
Hero Bikes List
- Hero Splendor Plus
- Hero Passion Pro
- Hero Xtreme 160R
- Hero HF Deluxe
- Hero Glamour
- Hero Super Splendor
- Hero Xpulse 200
- Hero Xtreme 200S
- Hero Splendor iSmart 110
- Hero Pleasure+
- Hero Maestro Edge 110
- Hero Destini 125
- Hero Maestro Edge 125
Hero Motors Timeline
- 1983 they signed a joint collaboration agreement and formed the company. The joint venture between India’s Hero Group and Honda Motor Company Japan has not only created the world’s single largest two wheeler company but also one of the most successful joint ventures worldwide.
- 1984 Hero MotoCorp Limited was incorporated in the year with the name Hero Honda Motors Ltd. The company was established as a joint venture company between Honda Motor Company of Japan and Hero Group.
- 1985 the company commenced their commercial production at Dharuhera plant in Haryana and introduced their first motorcycle CD 100 in the market.
- 1989 they launched the new motorcycle model Sleek in the market and in the year 1991 they introduced new motorcycle model CD 100 SS in the market.
- 1995 the company introduced their extraordinary product Splendor in the market.
- 1997 the company inaugurated their second manufacturing facility at Gurgaon in Haryana. Also they introduced new motorcycle model Street in the market.
- 1999 they launched Hero Honda CBZ the first 150cc motorcycle in the Indian two wheeler industry.
- 2001 the company introduced new models Passion and Joy in the market. In the next year they introduced new models Dawn and Ambition in the market.
- 2003 the company launched new motorcycle models namely CD Dawn Splendor+ and Passion Plus in the market. Also they launched Hero Honda Karizma the industry’s first 223cc motorcycle.
- 2004 they introduced new models Ambition 135 and CBZ* in the market. During the year they renewed the joint technical agreement with the Honda Motors Company Japan.
- 2005 the company launched Super Splendor CD Deluxe Glamour and Achiever in the market.
- 2006 the company forayed into scotter segment and launched 100cc gearless scotter Pleasure in the market.
- 2007 the company launched Splendor NXG CD Deluxe Passion Plus and Hunk in the market.
- 2008 the company commissioned their third plant at Haridwar in Uttarakhand with an initial installed capacity of 500000 units.
- 2009 the company increased the installed capacity of Motorised 2 wheelers upto 350CC engine by 200000 Nos to 5400000 Nos. The company launched nine new models during the year.
- 2010-11 the company launched six new models including variants of existing models successfully. They refreshed Glamour and Glamour FI. They introduced the New Hunk Super Splendor and Splendor Pro.
- 2011 the company changed their name from Hero Honda Motors Ltd to Hero MotoCorp Ltd.
- 2012 the company entered into a strategic partnership with Erik Buell Racing (EBR) of USA for contemporary technology and design inputs to enable the company to launch high end bikes for the domestic and international markets.
- 2013 Hero Motocorp commenced construction of its new plant & Global Parts Centre. The company Commences Construction of Its ‘GAME-CHANGING’ Centre of Global Innovation And Research & Design.
- 2014 Hero Motocorp Heralds A New Era Of Technology Leadership. The company Sets New Benchmark For The Global Two Wheeler Industry. The company Launches Splendor Ismart With Game Changing I3s Technology.
- 2015 Hero MotoCorp launched two scooters under the brands Maestro Edge and Duet.In February 2016 Hero MotoCorp showcased three new bikes Splendor iSmart 110 the Xtreme 200 S the XF3R and an electric scooter the Duet E at Auto Expo a trade show in New Delhi.
- 2016 Hero MotoCorp formally inaugurated its world-class `Global Centre of Innovation and Technology’ (CIT) in Jaipur Rajasthan. Built with an investment of Rs 850 crore the CIT will design and develop world-class products for global markets.
- 2017 Hero MotoCorp announced that the company clocked its highest-ever sales in a financial year at 6663903 units in FY 2017 compared to 6632322 units it had sold in the previous fiscal (FY 2016).In May 2017 Hero MotoCorp commenced commercial production at the second global manufacturing facility in Bangladesh.
- 2018 Hero MotoCorp announced that it will be increasing the ex-showroom prices of its motorcycles by about Rs 400 per model with effect from 1 January 2018 to partially off-set rising input costs.
- 2021 On Jan 2021 Hero MotoCorp reports total wholesales of motorcycles and scooters at 4,85,889 units. Sales decline stood at 3.14 percent, down from 5,01,622 units at volume loss of 15,733 units. Two aspects around which Hero MotoCorp’s success is built is that fact that it sells way more motorcycles than scooters, and that the majority of its sales is in the domestic market.