Founder: T. V. Sundaram Iyengar
Founded: 1978; 43 years ago
Headquarters: Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
T. V. Sundaram Iyengar began with Madurai’s first bus service in 1911 and founded TVS, a company in the transportation business with a large fleet of trucks and buses under the name of Southern Roadways.
Sundaram Clayton was founded in 1962 in collaboration with Clayton Dewandre Holdings, United Kingdom. It manufactured brakes, exhausts, compressors and various other automotive parts. The company set up a plant at Hosur in 1976, to manufacture mopeds as part of their new division. In 1980, TVS 50, India’s first two-seater moped rolled out of the factory at Hosur in Tamil Nadu, India. A technical collaboration with the Japanese auto giant Suzuki Ltd. resulted in the joint-venture between Sundaram Clayton Ltd and Suzuki Motor Corporation, in 1987. Commercial production of motorcycles began in 1989.
TVS Bikes List
- TVS Apache RR310
- TVS Apache RTR 160 4V
- TVS Apache RTR 200 4V
- TVS Apache RTR 160
- TVS Sport
- TVS Radeon
- TVS Apache RTR 180
- TVS Star City Plus
- TVS XL100 Heavy Duty
- TVS XL100 Comfort
- TVS Scooty Zest 110
- TVS iQube
- TVS Scooty Pep Plus
- TVS Jupiter
- TVS Ntorq 125
TVS Motors Timeline
- 1979 TVS Group company Sundaram-Clayton Ltd started Moped Division at Hosur to manufacture TVS 50 mopeds.
- 1982 the company entered into a technical know-how and assistance agreement with Suzuki Motor Co Ltd of Japan.
- 1985 they incorporated a new company Lakshmi Auto Components Pvt Ltd for the manufacture of critical engines and transmission parts.
- 1986 the company acquired the assets of the moped division from Sundaram Clayton Ltd. Also the name of the company was changed from Indo Suzuki Motorcycles Ltd to TVS Suzuki Ltd.
- 1992 they launched two modes of motor cycles namely Samurai and Shogun and in the year 1993 they launched TVS Scooty. VS Suzuki Ltd was amalgamated with Sundaram Auto Engineers Ltd an unlisted group company which was incorporated in the year 1992.
- 1999 As per the scheme all the assets and liabilities of erstwhile TVS Suzuki Ltd together with all obligations and contingent liabilities were vested in Sundaram Auto Engineers (India) Ltd with effect.
- 2001 This merged entity was later renamed TVS Suzuki Ltd.The TVS group and Suzuki Motor Corporation parted ways from their 15-year-old joint venture. Thus the company became a subsidiary of Sundaram-Clayton Ltd with effect from November 15 2001.
- 2003 the subsidiary company namely Lakshmi Auto Components Ltd acquired the entire paid up capital of Sundaram Auto Components Ltd. Consequently Sundaram Auto Components Ltd became a subsidiary company with effect from April 1 2003.In October 2003 the company entered into a scheme of arrangement with Lakshmi Auto Components Ltd and Sundaram Auto Components Ltd.
- 2004 they launched new products such as TVS Star New Victor GLX New Victor GX and Scooty Pep ‘Splash’ series. During the year 2005-06 the company entered into a joint venture with Columbian party for exploring opportunities in Columbian market with an equity investment of Rs 5 million.
- 2006 the company has established a new plant in Himachal Pradesh with an annual production capacity of 400000 units scalable to 600000 units.
- 2007 the company commenced commercial production from its Nalagarh Plant located in Himachal Pradesh. They commenced their commercial production from their state-of-the art plant located at Karawang in Indonesia and launched TVS Neo which is exclusively developed for the Indonesian market.
- 2008 the company launched their three wheeler TVS King in two variants namely two stroke petrol and two stroke LPG.The company won the Team Tech 2007 Award of Excellence for Integrated use of Advanced Computer Aided Engineering Technologies in product development.
- 2009 T V Sundram Iyengar & Sons Ltd and their subsidiaries acquired the holding of foreign collaborators Clayton Dewandre Holdings Ltd in Sundaram-Clayton Ltd. Thus Sundaram-Clayton Ltd became a subsidiary of T V Sundram Iyengar & Sons Ltd.
- 2010 they acquired the entire paid up capital of TVS Housing Ltd and thus TVS Housing Ltd became a wholly owned subsidiary of the company.In October 2010 the company won the SAP ACE Award for Consumer Excellence 2010 in ‘Best Run Award in Automotive’ category.
- 2011 Indian Bank signed an MoU with the company for financing three wheelers manufactured by the company. In March 2011 the company introduced ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) in their premium segment motorcycle TVS Apache RTR 180 giving the bike formidable stopping power and superior braking control that compliments its high performance capability.
- 2012 the company signed a MOU with Central Bank of India to provide attractive financing options for its three wheeler TVS king across all 4000 branches operating in India. The company is also a winner of the CII ITC Sustainability Awards 2012 during under review.
- 2013 the company won Silicon India Mentor Graphics Best VLSI / Embedded Design – Automotive Award. The company and BMW Motorrad Signed a Cooperation Agreement. The Company proposed to set up assembly line in Uganda.
- 2014 the company launched TVS TRU4 Synthetic 10W 30 Engine Oil. The Company launches StaR HLX 125 Motorcycle in Tanzania. The Company also launched Stylish TVS StaR City+ -Asian Network for Quality Award 2014.In 2015 TVS Motor Company & Kangra Central Co-operative Bank in Himachal Pradesh sign MOU.
- 2015 the company was launched the first edition of TVS Phoenix 125 for the drum version and for the disc brake version. During the year the company has introduced a special edition of its legendary TVS XL Super’ in celebration of crossing the milestone of 1 crore mark in sales. The Company signs MOU with TN Government for investment of Rs 350 crore.
- 2016 TVS Motor Company announced that it has entered into a partnership with Snapdeal to sell its motorcycles and scooters online. Nine two-wheeler products from TVS Motor Company will be available on Snapdeal. Customers will now be able to select model colour and dealership of their choice on the Snapdeal Motors platform from the comfort of their homes.
- 2017 TVS Motor Company announced its alliance with MASESA (Mayor Servicios Socieda Anonima) a Guatemala based company that is a leader in the commercialization of motorcycles and Tuk Tuks in the Central American region.
- 2018 TVS Motor Company announced its foray in the 125cc scooter segment with the launch of TVS NTORQ 125. Designed for the youth TVS NTORQ 125 has been developed based on the TVS Racing pedigree and comes with the state-of-the-art CVTi-REVV 3 Valve engine. The scooter also marks the launch of an exclusive technology platform – TVS SmartXonnect – making it India’s first connected scooter.
- 2020 it has been reported that TVS Motor Company acquired Norton Motorcycle Company in an all cash deal. In the short term, they will continue the production of motorcycles at Donington Park using the same staff.
- 2021 TVS is expected to launch 9 bikes in the year 2021-2022. TVS Apache RTR 310, TVS Victor and TVS Apache RTR 200 Fi E100 are launching soon.